Last year I made gnocchi with pumpkin puree, which turned out to be great so this year I tried to make a variant with a different type of flour – coconut flour, and I wasn’t wrong.
Unlike gnocchi with regular type of flour, these with coconut flour have a much softer texture. I decided to make a gluten-free version purely because I know how hard regular type of gnocchi with whole wheat flour can be to digest.
My Delicious Coconut Flour Potato Gnocchi
Before you start preparing your delicious coconut flour potato gnocchi, make sure you have all the equipment you need including a simple spatula and a kitchen bowl.
Follow my simple coconut flour potato gnocchi recipe, which takes less than 30 minutes total time to prepare.
Coconut Flour Potato Gnocchi
- 1+3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1+1/2 cups potato puree
- Start preparing your coconut flour potato gnocchi by mixing coconut flour, nutritional yeast (if using) and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the puree and knead by hand until a smooth dough is formed (it should not fall apart but it should not be too dry).
- When you get a homogeneous dough, take the pieces and roll them into flutes and cut them into smaller pieces (you decide how thick and long the gnocchi will be, my recommendation is to make smaller gnocchi so they don't fall apart and are easier to eat)
- Put water in a large pot, let it boil and add good salt. Add the gnocchi little by little, never all at once.
- The gnocchi are cooked for about 2-3 minutes after they have risen to the surface. Then take them out of the water with a spatula with holes and continue to cook the remaining gnocchi.
- Pour a little olive oil over the finished coconut flour potato gnocchi so that they do not dry out or stick too much.
Your final coconut flour potato gnocchi may look like on the photo below. Simply delicious!
My Special Mushroom Sauce
Once you’re done preparing your potato gnocchi with coconut flour, you may want to add some mushroom sauce for some flavor.
I could write hymns about mushrooms, but I’d better cut them short, because rarely does anyone read these introductions to recipes. Still, I need to say that mushrooms are one of the few foods I would eat in just one season.
They smell like autumn and be some special memories and feelings of warmth. I usually prepare them very simply because I want to feel their smell, taste and texture in all its fullness, without too much flaming. They are as special as they are soft.
Below I am sharing my own “special” mushroom sauce which I’ve created after multiple tries. What’s so special about this sauce – you will have to find out on your own after trying it with your gnocchi 😉
- 500 g mushroom mix as desired
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tyhme fresh or dried
- 150 ml soy cream
- pinch of fresh ground pepper
- pinch of salt
- handful of pumpkin seeds
- To start preparing this delicious and soft mushroom sauce which will blend perfectly with your coconut flour potato gnocchi, peel and slice the mushrooms, chop the onion and garlic.
- Put olive oil in a deep pan and after a few moments add garlic. When it has softened and started to release its scents add the onion and simmer over low heat.
- When the onion turns yellow, add the thyme and after half a minute the mushrooms and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for approx. 5 minutes.
- Uncover and let it cook a little more and evaporate the liquid from the mushrooms. Then add the spices and soy cream. Cook for another few minutes and taste and add more spices if necessary.
- Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds and allow to cool. Then chop them and add to the finished mushrooms.
- Mix the warm sauce with your coconut flour potato gnocchi and sprinkle with additionally toasted pumpkin seeds.
Once you’re done with everything, your coconut flour potato gnocchi may look like on the photo below 😋
Thank you so much for enjoying my own coconut flour potato gnocchi recipe.
What I love the most about this recipe is how easy it is to prepare it, and how healthy it is. In less than an hour you can have an absolutely delicious meal for 4-5 people, and it tastes – simply amazing! 🤩
Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts in the comments below, and as always, I’m sending much love to you!❤️
I have to say – these taste amazing!! Definitely recommend to anyone who wants to try.
I most definitely agree 😊